Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Diamond Head Hike

The most famous volcanic crater in the world is Diamond Head, located on the South-east Coast of O'ahu at the end of Waikiki overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It was originally named Laeahi by the ancient Hawaiians. The name meant "brow of the tuna" and looking at the silhouette of the crater from Waikiki, you can see the resemblance. I was always curious about hiking this crater and I got my chance on Sunday, July 26th. I was even more intrigued since when I looked out of my room at the Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort, it dominated the view.

So, I ventured out early Sunday morning. I took hiking poles with me as I was just as concerned about the steep hike down as the steep hike up.

I also took my little Leica binoculars since you never know what birds you might encounter. Here was the list of possible birds. I'm sure I saw and heard at least the bulbul and some mynas on this hike. I've spotted most of the other birds on this poster in my various trips to Hawaii over the years, and saw lots of Java Sparrows again this trip, though not on the Diamond Head hike.

Man, that's a long ways up!!!
Gorgeous, hot sweaty, humid country!
Nice views kept me going as I made my way upward.
Lots of steps between here and the top.
But more nice refreshing vistas.
I love photographing tunnels.
Lots of stairs, but worth a look back at the view.
I thought the spiral staircase looked especially cool.
More stairs and framed vistas.
Not sure what this was, but liked how it looked.
OK, It was finally worth it!
Waikiki like I've never seen it before.
Postcard perfect!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

What a hike! I always wondered what the way up looked like. Had no idea it had lots of tunnels and stairs. Your reward was that amazing view, I guess!

Diane said...

It was a challenge for a non-hiker like me and there were a number of folks that started it and pooped out along the way. I was very prepared for it with sunscreen, a visor, hiking poles, a Camelbak with ice water in it, a little trail mix, and my hiking sandals. There were a few younger people doing it in flip flops! What mainly made it difficult for me was the heat and humidity. And yes, the views were the reward.

Ron Bloomquist said...

Well done!

I had no idea!

Excellent, in fact!!

credd said...

wow. breathtaking views...and yes...a long way up!